Letter Printing and Mailing: Modernizing Traditional Marketing
Communicating through mailed letters has been possible in the United States since 1775, when the first post office was established. The process and power of partnering with a letter printing and mailing services company has grown and evolved since the infancy days of the postal system, sustaining relevancy with the advancement of technology. Even in today’s digital age, where screens and notifications dominate our lives, the thrill of receiving physical mail stands out as a unique and personal experience. This phenomenon is not confined to older generations; younger individuals embrace mail with open arms, shifting the perception that digital is the only way forward.
60% of Gen-Xers pick up the mail at least 6 days a week.
75% of millennials said receiving personal mail makes them feel special.Source: https://www.postcardmania.com/blog/direct-mail-statistics-2023/
Amidst this backdrop, the dominance of marketing mail has re-emerged, proving that traditional methods still hold their ground in the modern world. This article delves into the advantages of letter printing and mailing services, the types of mailed letters, strategies for enhancing campaigns, and futureproofing these time-tested techniques.
As the allure of physical mail grows, it’s evident that traditional marketing methods like letter mailing are far from obsolete. In fact, they are experiencing a resurgence in popularity due to their effectiveness in cutting through the digital noise and establishing genuine connections.
Create an Emotional Connection Through Physical Mail
In an age when most communication happens at the click of a button, receiving a physical piece of mail offers a delightful sense of anticipation. Whether it’s a beautifully designed envelope or a handwritten address, these details contribute to the emotional impact of the mailpiece. Studies have shown that printed materials are more impactful than digital in terms of consumers’ overall cognitive function. Printed information scored better than digital in the following categories:
- Memory retention
- Emotional engagement
Changing Perception: Younger Generations Embrace Mail
Contrary to the notion that younger generations are exclusively focused on digital communication, research shows that they embrace physical mail as well. The tactile nature of letters taps into a sense of nostalgia and authenticity that resonates with them. This shift in perception challenges the idea that traditional methods are incompatible with modern audiences.
72% of Gen Z consumers said they would be disappointed to no longer receive mail and say they are excited to discover what the mail brings every day.
62% of millennials say they tend to read advertising mail they receive, rather than discard it without reading, whereas 33% said they use online ad blockers.Source: https://www.postcardmania.com/blog/direct-mail-statistics-2023/
The Dominance of Marketing Mail
Marketing mail is making a significant comeback and has only continued to grow since the Pandemic. Its ability to stand out amidst the digital noise is a testament to its power. A study conducted by the United States Postal Service reveals that direct mail has a remarkable influence on consumer behavior.
92% of young buyers are influenced by direct mail.
70% of consumers believe that physical mail is more personal than email.Source: https://www.postcardmania.com/blog/direct-mail-statistics-2023/
These tips can help you create engaging marketing mailers for millennials.
- Incorporate multimedia and digital. Embed QR Codes, near field communication (NFC) or augmented reality (AR) to link your mailer to videos and interactive materials on your website or social media.
- Keep your messaging succinct and easy to read. Provide bite-sized pieces of information.
- Be authentic. 69% percent of millennials say direct mail feels more personal than online digital communications.
- Try to avoid hard-sell language and instead use a straightforward, transparent approach.
- Use retargeted direct mail to match customers’ IP addresses to their physical addresses. This allows you to follow up with personalized direct mail based on users’ actions on your website, mobile app, email or social media.
Millennial Direct Mail Statistics:
85% of millennials take the time to look through their mail.
82% of millennials say receiving a handwritten letter, note or greeting card in the mail still has a lot of value for them.
68% of millennials would be upset if they no longer receive mail.
79% of millennials look forward to seeing what they’ve received in their mailbox.
52% of millennials are more likely to make a purchase from a company that advertises to them using both direct mail and digital methods.
57% of millennials worry less about mail privacy than digital communications privacy.Source: https://www.uspsdelivers.com/still-relevant-a-look-at-how-millennials-respond-to-direct-mail/
Digital marketing offers unparalleled speed and reach, but the saturation of digital content often leads to messages getting lost in the sea of notifications and updates. This is where physical mail steps in, offering a refreshing and memorable way to connect with customers. The texture of paper, the weight of an envelope, and the excitement of opening it contribute to an emotional engagement that digital messages often lack.
Advantages of Print Letters and Direct Mail
As technology continues to advance, the advantages of print letters and direct mail become even more pronounced.
- Personalization for deeper customer connection: Printed documents offer a level of personalization that digital messages struggle to achieve. The ability to tailor each letter to address the recipient’s needs, preferences, and history creates a more profound and meaningful connection.
- Standing out amidst digital noise: In a world where inboxes are flooded and social media feeds are overloaded, the ability of physical mail to capture attention simply by being different cannot be underestimated.
- Highly targeted approach for increased response: Mailing lists can be refined to reach a specific audience, increasing the chances of a response. The ability to customize content and offers for a particular segment enhances the likelihood of conversion.
Exploring Types of Mailed Letters
- Promoting new products and services: Printed letters are an excellent way to introduce new offerings to your customers in a personal and impactful manner.
- Newsletters and promotional offers: Newsletters sent via mail have a sense of importance and exclusivity, making recipients more likely to engage with the content.
- Event invitations and exclusive discounts: Invitations to events or exclusive offers delivered via mail feel special and increase the likelihood of attendance or purchase.
- Cross-selling and upselling opportunities: Mailed letters provide a prime opportunity to present complementary products or upgrades to existing customers.
- Invoices and payment receipts: Transactional documents can be used for financial interactions, providing a sense of professionalism and security.
- Compliance-related letters: Letters addressing compliance changes offer a tangible reference for customers to keep on hand.
- Guidelines and policy changes: Updates to guidelines and policies are more likely to be noticed and remembered when delivered in print.
- Regulatory and tax compliance updates: Legal and regulatory updates can be presented in a clear and organized manner through mailed letters.
Incorporating mailed letters into your marketing strategy opens up a multitude of possibilities for engagement.
Tips for Enhancing Marketing Letter Campaigns
To maximize the impact of marketing letter campaigns, it’s important to leverage various strategies and techniques.
- Leveraging direct mail advertising: Direct mail offers a strategic approach to reaching potential customers. It provides a tangible reminder of your brand and offerings, even if recipients don’t take immediate action.
- The power of personalization: Personalization goes beyond addressing recipients by their names. It involves tailoring the content, offers, and even the design to resonate with the individual recipient.
- Utilizing print marketing materials: Print materials, such as brochures, flyers, or catalogs, can accompany letters to provide additional information and enhance the overall impact.
- Outsourcing printing and mailing services: Partnering with professional printing and mailing services can streamline the process, ensuring high-quality printing and efficient delivery.
- Streamlining with automated letter printing: Automation tools can simplify large-scale mail campaigns, making them more manageable, cost-effective, and consistent.
- Harnessing variable data printing: Variable data printing enables unique elements in each letter, further enhancing personalization and engagement.
Make the most of your marketing letter efforts by implementing multiple engaging marketing strategies.
Futureproof Letter Printing and Mailing Strategies at FSSI
In the midst of the ever-evolving marketing landscape, where trends and technologies come and go, the value of letter printing and mailing remains steadfast and reliable. This enduring relevance is especially evident in the services we provide at FSSI, where our commitment to creating a more impactful letter mailing campaign experience for customers sets our services and solutions apart from other providers.
FSSI’s Personalized Solutions Strengthen Customer Relationships in the Digital Age
One of the most remarkable aspects of our approach is recognizing the power of combining letter printing and mailing with digital communications. While electronic communication has become the norm, the extra effort and thoughtfulness invested in a physical letter show your customers that they are valued and appreciated beyond just the virtual realm. This extra mile taken to utilize tangible communication helps in establishing genuine connections with customers, building brand loyalty and customer retention.
By taking advantage of the personal touch inherent in physical mail, we help businesses transcend digital noise and create a deeper, more meaningful interaction with their audience. In a world where automated responses and generic emails dominate, the effort put into crafting a well-designed letter demonstrates a level of care that is hard to replicate digitally.
Call 714.436.3300 today to speak to a letter mailing specialist about enhancing your customer communications with FSSI’s customizable letter printing and mailing services and schedule a free demo.