One Pitney Bowes study on the subject reveals that direct mail is consumers’ preferred communication channel. Especially for receiving product and direct mail marketing information. In short, respondents strongly preferred physical direct mail pieces. The survey showed that 66% said they prefer to receive catalogs by physical mail, 61% prefer to receive bills and invoices by physical mail, and 59% preferring to receive statements by physical mail. The results of this study are clear, keep on mailing. Mailing is still a powerful communication channel because people still like it. It is still an effective way to enhance any multi-channel direct advertising campaign. But what about reducing direct mail costs? For many companies, outsourcing is a useful direct mail solution.
What is Direct Mail? Is Direct Mail Marketing Effective?
Direct mail is the production and delivery of promotional material sent through the mail. This includes printed marketing, offers, promotions and appointment reminder postcards. Direct mail does not only involve physical mailers but also includes audience research, mailing lists, and data-driven personalization. This form of marketing is completely unsolicited by the customer so choosing the right message and the right customer is extremely important to the effectiveness of your direct mail campaigns.
These mailers are extremely beneficial for marketing purposes because they can be completely customized and this allows companies to reach more individual customers within their target audience. Effective, and relatively lower in cost than other advertising channels, direct response advertising is the perfect fit to enhance your company’s current marketing strategies.
Types of Direct Mail
- Catalogs & Weekly Circulars
- Direct Mail Postcards
- Appointment Reminders
- Thank You Cards
- Direct Mail Letters (For Confidential Mail or Multi-Piece Mailers
- Self Mailers Dimensional Mailers
What Makes Direct Mail an Effective Marketing Strategy?
Outsourcing direct mail is one of the easiest and effective ways of reducing your marketing cost, welcome news for most companies because even with the proliferation of digital marketing, direct response marketing still plays a crucial role in multi-channel engagement. A growing number of businesses feel that direct mail is a waste of time and money. Direct mail marketing, when done right, is still a very powerful marketing tool. The biggest reason most direct mail campaigns fail because they are relying on an inferior direct mail provider or have implemented outdated advertising strategies.
Though direct mail marketing is a proven engagement channel, the costs and complexity of running an in-house campaign have risen sharply. Skyrocketing postage costs, shifting compliance regulations, escalating equipment costs, and data-handling considerations can challenge even the most experienced and steadfast marketers.
Despite these obstacles, however, many companies have chosen to invest in printed mail pieces as well as electronic direct mail technology and keep their advertising and marketing services in-house. Seeing opportunity amidst the challenges, others have turned to direct marketing companies like FSSI.
The response rates of direct mail are drastically higher than many other channels of communication including digital marketing. Check out our blog post to learn additional information about how to increase your response rate and reach with direct mail.
Outsource Direct Mail Production and Save Money, Time, and Energy
Regulations concerning mailing and customer privacy have become stricter over the last decade. New laws have been created to protect customers’ sensitive personal data, it can sometimes be difficult to keep up with constantly changing regulations, procedures, and policies. This is where a direct mail company like FSSI can be a lifesaver. We have invested heavily in the latest in data security, and print production equipment so that we shoulder all of the risks, and let your campaigns work for your company without worry of remaining compliant with the latest marketing regulations.
- Equipment Savings–Printing and delivering high-quality, data-driven personalized direct mailers, flyers, postcards and letters can require a significant capital investment in highly specialized imaging, insertion, and digital color technologies. When you outsource the production of postcards, brochures, self-mailers, and other marketing mail with FSSI, you avoid these and other capital equipment costs by leveraging our significant mail technology investment.
- Production Savings–FSSI’s marketing services help maximize savings through multiple levels of presort automation. For example, we use Pitney Bowes Postal Software for CASS and NCOALink certification used to manage address hygiene and move updates. This helps to increase the quantity of viable, deliverable addresses. If applicable, we may propose a solution that reduces mailing costs through duplex printing and envelope sizing.
- Pre-Printed Indicia–We can also meter your mail pieces or add pre-printed indicia to your outer envelopes. Our co-mingling option helps ensure the lowest rates when mailers cannot be manifested alone. All direct mailer postage fund receipts and usage information is reported online in real-time on our secure workflow management portal, workStreamOne™. You can check your postage balance, review postage costs for individual jobs, or download total postage usage figures for a specific period.
- Payroll Savings–Printing and mailing can be very labor-intensive, especially at high volumes. For many companies, the outsourcing of direct mail production can lead to lower manpower requirements. When you outsource with FSSI, we manage all labor, payroll and scheduling concerns; even during busy times, there are no extra charges for overtime.
- Energy Savings–The systems required to produce direct mailers require a lot of energy. If you are using older less efficient equipment, the amount of energy required is even higher. Outsourcing to FSSI eliminates your need to own and operate old, inefficient equipment. This immediately increases the effectiveness and reducing monthly energy costs.
- Inventory Savings–The cost to store and manage paper stock can drive up overhead and eat away at profits. Because FSSI uses roll-fed, full-color digital systems, you don’t need to store or manage pre-printed stock because document data and design are printed simultaneously. Waste-related costs from outdated or damaged stock are also avoided.
About FSSI’s Direct Mail Printing Experience
FSSI is a pioneering technology leader in outsourced document production, offering more than 30 years of direct advertising and print-mail services experience, including complex data management. The outsourcing partner for many top-tier brands, FSSI adds value to all of your personalized direct mail and multi-channel advertising projects, with features and options that include:
- Customization – With FSSI’s dynamic data and graphics, special promotional offers and other targeted information can be inserted programmatically, on the fly, based on business rules and parameters for each recipient.
- On-Page Enhancements – When you’re ready to think beyond postcards and flyers, consider FSSI’s powerful statement-based marketing; using design best practices for layout, color and whitespace management, we offer variable data printing technology that can add offers, promotions, response vehicles and other information on any–or every– page.
- Reporting – The product of more than 30 years of industry experience, and only available only from FSSI, workStreamOne is today’s preeminent online job tracking and reporting solution. Its intuitive, widget-based dashboard puts a wealth of live production intelligence right at your fingertips, enabling you to view top-line data at-a-glance or drill down deeper for more comprehensive analysis.
- Data Handling and Security – FSSI’s secure production processes regularly satisfy clients’ most rigorous audits, including the exhaustive independent SSAE-18 Type II audit. Read more about our secure printing environment.
Direct Mail Services Consultation
FSSI has the experience, data expertise, production technologies and certified secure facility to be your new direct mail outsourcing partner. Contact a direct mail print-mail services specialist today for a free analysis and consultation.