General Company Information
- As a print outsourcing services company, what does FSSI do?
- How long has FSSI been in the document outsourcing business?
- What are FSSI’s core services, printing solutions and tools?
- Are you a Woman-owned Business Enterprise (WBE)?
Print-Mail Production Environment
- What is your print-mail production capacity?
- What is your typical conversion process?
- Do you offer both multi-channel delivery options?
- Which digital color printing technology do you use?
Facility and Physical Security
- Where are your secure printing facilities located?
- What physical security precautions do you have in place?
- What is SPF?
- How does SPF work?
- Do I have an SPF record? What does it look like?
- Is an SPF record absolutely necessary?
- What if I already have an SPF record for my domain?
- Are you SSAE-18 Type 2 Certified?
- How does FSSI safeguard client data in its print-mail production facilities?
- What other security policies and procedures does FSSI follow?
Customers, Alliances and Partners
- Which industries do you serve?
- Who are some of your industry partners?
- Which print-mail industry organizations are you affiliated with?
- Would you consider new partnering opportunities?
Benefits of Outsourcing
Basic Questions About FSSI
A: FSSI is more than a print management provider. We’re a pioneering technology leader in the outsourced (BPO) document-production industry. We’re also data management and security experts who utilize in-house software developers to assess, map and reformat clients’ files into high-quality (printed or online) statements, bills, compliance notices, marketing letters and other time-sensitive correspondence.
Services include: Print and Mail Outsourcing, Statement and Bill Delivery, Electronic Statement Presentment, Electronic Invoice Presentment (EBPP, EIPP), Transpromotional Document Production, Tax Form Processing, Variable Data Print and Mail, Digital Color Printing
A: FSSI was founded in 1980 to meet the print and mail outsourcing needs of local, regional and national companies.
Q: What are FSSI’s core services, solutions and tools?
A: FSSI offers numerous industry-leading services, solutions and tools, many developed by our own in-house software programmers.
- Outsource Print and Mail Services–Leverage the benefits of business process outsourcing, including lower printing, production and postage costs; reduced compliance risk; and decreased investment for capital equipment and leases. Download Benefits of Outsourcing Print and Mail to see the top 10 advantages to outsource printing.
- Marketing Communication Services–Create campaigns that engage customers and reinforce trust in your brand
- Compliance Communications–Reduce risk and avoid penalties by sending the right mandated documents at the right time
- Electronic Document Presentment–Boost retention and loyalty by reaching customers through their preferred channel
- Mobile Mail Service—Allows companies to deliver account statements, invoices, marketing messages and other targeted content quickly and securely, via a mobile mailbox and payment platform
- MarketAdvantage–Online document personalization and design
- Secure Compliance–Online, compliance management and reporting
- letterStreamOne™ (LSO) Our online letter template management tool –a product of FSSI’s extensive in-house software development capabilities, LSO is a powerful, proprietary letter-and-notice-management solution offering 24/7 access to customer document templates, with hierarchical control and approval tracking.
- eStreamOne™ (ESO) Our electronic presentment and payment solution–an innovator of Web-based customer communications, FSSI offers a variety of versatile technology options that make adoption of online payment and document presentment faster, easier and more economical.
- workStreamOne™ (WSO) Online job tracking and document workflow portal–offers an unprecedented level of job-control transparency and accountability by providing client project managers with 24/7 access to powerful workflow management tools and job-status reporting.
- messageStreamOne™ (MSO) A self-managed portal that provides real-time control over document message management, including the ability to personalize or highlight compliance communications messaging through strategically placed text and graphics.
- dataStreamOne™ (DSO) Variable information printing and data formatting for outgoing customer documents. This enhances the impact, readability and appearance on documents. Which in turn, greatly improves the customer experience. DSO accurately reformats any data stream, transforming ordinary documents into extraordinary marketing and promotional tools.
A: Yes. FSSI is owned and managed by president and co-founder, Jennifer P.W. Dietz. FSSI’s 30+ years of experience, plus multiple WBE (Women Business Enterprise) certifications, provide clients with confident assurances, both in our outsourcing credentials and ability to comply with corporate diversity initiatives. FSSI’s WBE certifications include:
- WBENC: The WBE National Council is the largest third-party certifier of US women-owned businesses
- WBEA, Texas: Houston’s 750-member Women’s Business Enterprise Alliance is a respected, third-party certifying organization for 94 Texas counties
- CPUC Clearinghouse: A Public Utility Commission-supervised program that precludes the need for individual utilities to vet prospective woman and minority-owned vendors
- Los Angeles MTA: The Metropolitan Transit Authority serves as transportation planner and coordinator, designer, builder and operator for one of the country’s largest, most populous counties
A: Our print-mail clients typically FTP encrypted files to us over our secure, “fat” data transmission pipe, which easily supports the transfer of very large volumes of data.
A: FSSI’s sophisticated data-composition tools allow us to accept the most popular formats, including flat files, XML, PDF, AFP, PCL, mainframe, Medicode, and Postscript. We also accept many proprietary formats built for core service providers. Contact Us if you have a formatting question or special formatting needs.
A: FSSI is the largest USPS client in our region with more-than-adequate capacity for large-scale expansion. Our high-volume, SSAE-18 Type 2 certified production environment features cut-sheet and continuous-form technologies capable of producing millions of images daily, in full color, highlight color and black.
A: Every conversion is different but most follow a similar process of data assessment; data mapping; setting output standards; testing; approvals (at every stage) and finally, secure production. FSSI works diligently to assure the most efficient conversions possible. Depending on complexity, formatting requirements, scheduling and other considerations, the process can range from several days to several months.
A: Yes, FSSI produces both document types from the same data file. We also optimize documents to maintain corporate branding, while making them compatible with either push or pull e-technologies. We can also host data, support help-desk services, and/or provide a billing and payment loop.
A: To support our clients’ emerging preference for digital color, FSSI uses Canon’s Océ ColorStream® 3900 digital color press. The printer combines advanced inkjet technology with vibrant digital color to enhance the appearance, engagement and response to statements, invoices and other account-related documents. Discover the advantages you’ll experience from the Océ ColorStream® 3900 or browse our digital color printing FAQ to learn what other companies ask.
A: FSSI’s main offices are in Orange County (southern) California, roughly midway between Los Angeles and San Diego, two miles off the 405 freeway. We operate a secure, 167,000 square-foot production facility in Santa Ana, about ten minutes from the Orange County Airport. We also operate a Print, Fulfillment and Disaster Recovery facility just outside of Dallas, Texas.
A: FSSI employs numerous, facility-wide physical-security measures, including access-limiting key cards for every employee, door alarms, internal and external security cameras, a gated entryway and secure perimeter.
A: SPF stands for Sender Policy Framework. It is a security technique used by your email or domain administrator to deter spammers from “spoofing” your system with phony and potentially dangerous emails. It protects you by authenticating the sender’s domain before allowing it into your system–like the bouncer at a nightclub that keeps the riff-raff out.
The SPF also identifies other parties, like FSSI for example, who are legitimately authorized to send emails on your behalf and not “forged” or faked by someone else. If we’re providing this service for you, we really need to be included in your SPF record (the “good guys” list) to make sure your emails are delivered properly. See the instructions below.
A: Emails received from your company go through a gauntlet of security filters and checks (including the SPF record, if you have one, and IP address) to ensure that it is legitimate. If everything matches up, we deliver the email. We consider addresses not on the list as suspicious and may reject those addresses.
A: Your email or domain administrator should be able to tell whether you have an SPF record in place or not. If the admin is unavailable and you want to check for yourself, there are several online tools like this one that can tell you. If you do have an SPF record, you’ll see a rather cryptic line of code that looks something like this:
v=spf1 a mx include:_spf.google.com include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all
If your SPF record is missing, outdated or invalid, tools like this one can be a big help in creating or rebuilding it. One caveat: unless you’re pretty confident about creating and publishing SPFs, it may be best to work with your email or domain administrator.
A: No. SPF records have become a standard but we do not require them. However, having one is a proven best practice that prevents your email identity from forgery or hijacking. Also, when your SPF record explicitly authorizes FSSI to send emails for you, email deliverability and open rates will greatly improve.
A: If your SPF record looks like this…:
v=spf1 a mx include:_spf.google.com include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all
…you can simply add an “include” statement that authorizes FSSI to send emails on your behalf (using our eStreamOne service). The line of code should look like this:
v=spf1 a mx include:_spf.google.com include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:deliver.estreamone.com ~all
If you have more questions regarding SPF, feel free to contact your FSSI Account Representative anytime during regular business hours.
A: Yes. Read more here.
A: Data security at FSSI begins with limiting access to only those who need it. Multiple firewalls separate data handling from the rest of the production environment. Although our system is attacked daily by hackers, our security has never been penetrated to put client data at risk. Once jobs are complete, we delete client data from our servers and destroy all documents that are not intended to be mailed or delivered.
A: User/Server level security: FSSI maintains User/Server level security, whereby data files are secured by user permissions enforced by centralized domain policies. Service Level Security (Web, Email, Database, and other services) are audited and updated with the latest Service Packs.
- A firewall with hot failover: Placed between the Internet and the FSSI network, this measure blocks malicious and/or unauthorized network attempts. First, we encrypt data transmissions and provide a public key. Next, we zip files with a strong password and then send the file via SFTP. Individual Client SFTP accounts are set up. In addition, we block data passing through the firewall if the originating IP is not consistent with the setup rules. Other transmission methods are also available (Dedicated T-1’s, private VPN, etc.) and can be implemented according to clients’ needs.
- Validation and secure storage/archival: First of all, we validate the data file naming standard. When the data validation preprocesses are successful, we pull the files automatically into the FSSI network. All client input data is stored in secure locations with access limited to authorized personnel. Client input files that are received and processed via client-server networks are stored for no more than 60 days unless clients specify otherwise. Following the processing and printing of the data, files are securely archived.
- Deletion and shredding: Documents containing personalized customer data (printed or electronic) are deleted or shredded using FSSI’s commercial shredder after 30 days from use. We also can store them in a secure location if they are needed for longer.
A: Yes, in accordance with both our operating policies and SSAE-16 Type 2 requirements, FSSI has a complete DR plan that is regularly reviewed and updated.
A: FSSI serves all market verticals requiring quality, high-volume document output, and electronic presentment or payment, including banking, auto finance, insurance, healthcare, mutual funds, consumer finance, credit unions, utilities and mortgage.
A: FSSI counts among its valued partners, many industry pioneers and leaders such as Canon, Shaw Systems, Pitney Bowes and others.
To learn more about FSSI’s Alliances and Partners click here.
A: Memberships and affiliations evolve over time. Currently, FSSI is an affiliate of the Forest Stewardship Council, Two Sides and INg (Imaging Network Group).
A: Yes, as long as there is real potential for mutual long-term success, FSSI will consider new and varied partnering opportunities. We consider requests by clients to work with a core software supplier on an individual basis.
A: The short answer includes efficiency, measurable returns and cost savings. Potentially millions of dollars annually in many cases. Outsourcing the secure production of account, compliance and marketing documents to an industry leader like FSSI offers immediate payback, as well as future economic benefits, including lower per-piece costs and volume discounts. Learn more by reading “How to Choose the Right Print and Mail Vendor?”