One Pitney Bowes study on the subject reveals that direct mail is consumers’ preferred medium for receiving product and marketing information. In short, respondents strongly preferred physical direct mail, with 66% saying they prefer to receive catalogs by physical mail, 61% preferring to receive bills and invoices by physical mail, and 59% preferring to receive financial/bank statements by physical mail. The bottom line for marketers: keep on mailing, because people like it, and because it’s an effective way to enhance any multi-channel marketing campaign. But what about reducing direct mail production costs? For many companies, the answer is outsourcing direct mail printing and mailing.
Should You Outsource Direct Mail Print & Mail Services?
Though direct mail is a proven engagement channel, the cost and complexity of running an in-house direct mail services operation have risen sharply. Skyrocketing postage costs, shifting compliance regulations, escalating equipment costs, and data-handling considerations can challenge even the most experienced and steadfast direct mail marketers.
Despite these obstacles, however, many companies have chosen to invest in direct mail technology and keep direct mail services in house. Seeing opportunity amidst the challenges, others have turned to companies like FSSI for outsourced direct mail print and mail services.
Greatest Savings Opportunities with Outsourced Direct Mail Services
- Equipment Savings–printing and delivering high-quality, data-driven direct mailers, flyers, postcards and letters requires a significant capital investment in highly specialized imaging, insertion and digital color technologies. When you outsource direct mail print and delivery to FSSI, you avoid these and other capital equipment costs by leveraging our significant mail technology investment.
- Production Savings–FSSI’s outsource direct mail (print and mail) services helps maximize savings through multiple levels of presort automation. For example, we use Pitney Bowes Postal Software for CASS and NCOALink certification for address hygiene and move updates to increase your quantity of viable, deliverable addresses. If applicable, we may propose a solution that reduces mailing costs through duplex printing and envelope sizing.
We can also meter your direct mail pieces or add a pre-printed indicia to your outer envelopes. An available co-mingling option helps ensure the lowest rates when mailers cannot be manifested alone. All direct mail postage fund receipts and usage information is reported online real-time on our secure workStreamOne™ portal. You can check your postage balance, review postage costs for individual jobs, or download total postage usage figures for a specific period of time.
- Payroll Savings–direct mail printing and mailing can be very labor intensive, especially at high volumes. For many companies, the outsourcing of direct mail production and mailing can lead to lower manpower requirements. When you outsource to FSSI, we manage all labor, payroll and scheduling concerns; even during busy times there are no extra charges for overtime.
- Energy Savings–the systems required to process direct mail can consume a tremendous amount of energy, especially the older, less efficient ones. Outsourcing to FSSI eliminates your need to own and operate old, inefficient equipment, thus resulting in immediate monthly energy savings.
- Inventory Savings–the cost to store and manage paper stock can drive up overhead and eat away at profits. Because FSSI uses roll-fed, full-color digital systems, you don’t need to store or manage pre-printed stock because document data and design are printed simultaneously. Waste-related costs from outdated or damaged stock are also avoided.
About FSSI’s Outsource Direct Mail Services Experience
FSSI is a pioneering technology leader in outsourced document production, offering more than 30 years of direct mail and print-mail services experience, including complex data management. The outsourcing partner for many top-tier brands, FSSI adds value to all of your direct mail and multi-channel marketing projects, with features and options that include:
- Customization – with FSSI’s dynamic data and graphics, special direct mail offers and other targeted information can be inserted programmatically, on the fly, based on business rules and parameters for each individual recipient.
- On-Page Enhancements – when you’re ready to think beyond postcards and flyers, consider FSSI’s powerful statement-based marketing; using design best practices for layout, color and whitespace management, we can print offers, promotions, response vehicles and other information on any–or every– page.
- Reporting – the product of more than 30 years of industry experience, and only available only from FSSI, workStreamOne is today’s preeminent online job tracking and reporting solution. Its intuitive, widget-based dashboard puts a wealth of live production intelligence right at your fingertips, enabling you to view top-line data at-a-glance or drill down deeper for more comprehensive analysis.
- Data Handling and Security – FSSI’s secure production processes regularly satisfy clients’ most rigorous audits, including the exhaustive independent SSAE-16 Type 2 audit. Read more about our security practices or secure production environment.
Outsource Direct Mail Services Consultation
FSSI has the experience, data expertise, production technologies and certified secure facility to be your new direct mail outsourcing partner. Contact a direct mail print-mail services specialist today for a free analysis and consultation.